Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Just Like Heaven

Every once in a great great while, something is brought to my attention that I had absolutely no idea existed: something so extraordinarily wonderful, that I am astounded by my own ignorance. It happened yesterday while I was watching the Food Network.

I was preparing for my Beer 101 class and half listening to the TV when I heard "stout" and then I heard "ice cream" and then I heard "float" What? I backed up the DVR and low and behold, it was true. Using Guiness Stout instead of root beer, they were making Stout Floats.

A beer ice cream float? Shut up!

Apparently, this idea has been around for quite some time, and I can see why. Beer actually pairs beautifully with dessert. Rich full-flavored beers are needed to balance the sweetness of most desserts. According to the Brewer's Association, "Chocolate loves a dark beer. Milk chocolate is wonderful with Belgian-inspired strong dark ales...Fruit beers have an obvious affinity for fruit desserts, but they can be magic with chocolate as well."

So... back to the beer float - just imagine the possibilities: a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Ben & Jerry's Vanilla Ice Cream, A Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale with Chocolate Ice Cream, Haagen Daz Strawberry Cheesecake swirl and a fruity Belgian lambic. Its genius. Its inspired. Its just like heaven.

3 comments:

  1. ahh yes...beer floats. nathalie and i have enjoyed those for a while now. personally i think they work better in a good robust porter than in a stout. weve also tried it with the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock (delicious). you can order one at nathalie's other job when they have a porter or stout on tap. http://www.tapsbrea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try one with Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Ben & Jerry's Black and Tan ice cream. They were made for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always called Beamish Irish Cream Stout a dessert beer and would have one after a meal. I also wondered how it would be as a float, probably good, but then I couldn't drink it because it wouldn't be on my diet!

    ReplyDelete