Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

HOPPY HOLIDALE


Oh, the holiday season. I guess its been officially upon us since Halloween. But it wasn't until I was at the Wal Mart in Temecula, CA when I heard my first bad syrupy muzak Christmas song, that I realized that I hadn't had my first holiday seasonal beer. I don't know how I missed it, but I immediately set out to remedy that situation. And thanks to Deschutes Brewery, I was able to put an end to what was almost a tragedy.

My first holiday beer of the year was Deschutes 2008 Jubelale, "a festive winter ale." And to my surprise, I found out that this beer was the first beer ever to be bottled by Deschutes. I expected this beer to be much sweeter, but upon tasting it, this beer is dry and piney with toasty, roasty notes and a touch of tobacco. Its got a great balance with a light body and a quick finish for its 6.7% abv. It's a nice break from some winter seasonals that have a tendency to become a bit cloying.

This beer is only available October through December, so if you see some, make sure to nab it up. It would make a perfect accompaniment to Thanksgiving turkey, roasted parsnips or mashed turnips.

I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I did/do, and may I be the first person this year to wish you Hoppy Holidales.

P.S. Every year Deschutes Brewery selects a Northwest artist to create an image evocative of the season's festive atmosphere. In 2008, Pam Jersey Bird, who lives in Sisters, Oregon, painted a winding, abstract river running through the open spaces of Central Oregon's desert, surrounded by fluttering snowfall. More of Pam's work can be viewed at www.pamjerseybird.com.

Written by The Beer Chick, November 16, 2008

Get Beer for Chick's Feed

1 comment:

  1. Hey Beerchick,

    Thanks for the comment on my holiday beer blog. I agree on the Jubelale... i had some on tap a couple weeks ago. I think after the Winter Solstice hit me... the Jubelale was erased from my memory! Should have reviewed it too!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete