Pages

Friday, May 2, 2008

Beers For Your Mother

I'm a bad bad blogger, I know. I haven't written in ages and I sincerely apologize. I've been focusing on the book but am now re-committed to the blogging. I've been neglecting my responsibilities. I feel guilty. Hmmm, that reminds me of something.... Oh yeah! My Mom! Just kidding. Kind of.

I can't tell you how proud my parents were when I told them that I had discovered my passion, and that my passion was beer. Their reaction was less than effervescent to say the least. They were more casky (see Real Ale article) about it.

Slowly, though, through methodological tasting and pulling and prodding, I've finally turned my mother (who's past annual beer consumption consisted of one-half can of Bud Lite on Superbowl Sunday) into a bonafide beer drinker. And thank God, because there are times when she could really use one, believe me. Love you Mom!

So, with Mother's Day coming up. I thought that it might be interesting to list the beers that led up to her becoming a cool beer chick.

The first time I brought my parents to my favorite beer bar I knew I had my work cut out for me when they told me - the self-proclaimed beer chick - that they wanted a beer that tasted like Diet Coke and they weren't kidding. So I went to the bar and I ordered a Lindeman's Peche Lambic for my mother and I ordered a Rogue Hazelnut Brown for my father. I brought them to the table.

My parents tasted both beers and quickly traded, my dad opting for the Lindeman's Peche (we'll talk about him another time), and my mother savoring the Rogue. "I love this!" she said. And then she uttered a statement that I hate, "This doesn't taste like beer at all." I let it slide, because, you know, she's my mother; and I focused on the positive. That a) my MOM was drinking a dark as molasses beverage that b) wasn't Diet Coke that c) was BEER and that d) she was loving it!

Since then, my mom's been open to trying many new beers. Some she loves, and others not so much. Most of the beers that she likes are beers that "don't taste like beer at all," and that's okay. I've tried to explain to her that beer has a huge vast width of taste and flavor and the beer she likes does indeed taste like beer - but, what are you gonna do? Baby steps.

Here are some of the beers my mom (and hopefully your mom will too) dig.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar - Rogue Ales Brewery - Newport, OR:
I mentioned before that this was the first dark beer that my mother had consumed in her life. This American Brown Ale is wonderful. Full of roasted hazelnut and chocolate notes, this beer maintains its richness without being cloying or heavy.
6.2% abv.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Hoegaarden, Belgium:
My mom discovered this beer on a trip to England. She wrote it down while she was there and brought the note back to me. "YES mom... I've HEARD of Hoegaarden." (They really don't get what I do yet.) Anyway, turns out that my mom really likes Belgian Witbier. This one, I'm sure you all know with its coriander and citrus zest and bright light body....but did you know your mom would like it?

New Glarus Spotted Cow - New Glarus Brewing Company - New Glarus, WI:
My mom called from the University of Wisconsin's Student Union to tell me that she was enjoying this farmhouse ale. "Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts." This beer "gives a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn." This beer is unfiltered and on the lees to create full flavor in a relatively light bodied beer.
4.8% abv.

Jahva Imperial Coffee Stout - Southern Tier Brewing Company - Lakewood, NY:
This one surprised the heck out of me. My mom and I wanted a late afternoon coffee, but we didn't want to get all jacked up. I had a bottle of this in my fridge (Thanks Larry), and I suggested that we try this. I thought for sure that mom would poo poo this one, but turns out she loved it. This beer is made with Jamaican coffee, so, I assume there is some caffeine there, but the 12% abv. balances that caffeine right out, let me tell you.

Happy Mother's Day to all you hot beer drinking mamas out there!

1 comment: